A Foot in the Door is a book about the role networking plays for job seekers. Kathy, the author, story tells and teaches how networking turbo boosts job seeking efforts, smokes online resume submitters and produces positive results.
Networking is the process through which you get connected and build relationships with people who can help advance your career
A Foot in the Door is anchored by the most powerful and least known tool for job seekers - the informational interview.
The informational interview helps Explorers:
- Build confidence
- Build a rich resource network
- Learn how to converse with those with more experience
- Learn about various jobs and careers
- Learn how to become successful in various jobs and careers
- Learn how to interview
Chapter one though six are devoted to the What, Why, How, Who, Where and When of networking. Chapters seven through fourteen address the basics of networking:
- psychology of asking people to help you
- get your network to work for you
- help for those of us who are shy
- do's and don't of networking
- promoting yourself
- networking in a diverse culture
- keeping track of your network
In chapters fifteen through seventeen, Kathy covers networking on the Internet. Personal branding and social media come into play here.
All things informational interviewing are seared into the last ten chapters. Sample topics are:
- what is informational interviewing?
- how to find and choose interviewees
- how to set up and prepare for interviews
- what questions to ask
- how to optimize the interview experience
- how to track and analyze informational interviews
- following up and networking with contacts
Do you believe there are people in the world who enjoy sharing wisdom, knowledge and information? Sure there are! But it's up to us to seek them out and ask for their help. A Foot In The Door is the perfect navigational guide to do just that.
I created this mind map for easy access to resources surrounding Kathy's book A Foot in the Door.
Feel like making a comment on this post? Have a suggested link for me to add to the mind map? Follow this link to our Standing Out in a Sea of Sameness Facebook page and look for the post on this review dated 12/12/2013